Trey Foshee, Executive Chef & Partner
“To make really good food, you have to be completely aware of what’s going on with the ingredients…it’s about combining them in ways that bring out the individual flavors yet allow them to bounce off each other.”
Trey joined George’s at the Cove in the spring of 1999. Since then he’s been perfecting the art of highly seasonal cuisine made from the freshest, local ingredients.
As a classically trained graduate of The Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York, Trey blends the nuances of technique with trial and innovation. Most recently, he asked himself, “What would happen if you took a fish taco and turned it kind of inside-out?” So he tried it. And a few versions later, small slices of buttery raw yellowfin became the “tortilla.” They wrapped around fried pieces of avocado with a cool crème sauce. And for a little toasted corn flavor and crunch, they were dusted in corn nuts.
That’s Trey’s style of California Modern cooking.
- Tree Room & Foundry Grill, Robert Redford’s Sundance Resort, Utah
- L’Orangerie, Los Angeles
- La Folie, San Francisco
- Rockenwagner, Santa Monica
- Sheraton Grande, Los Angeles
- Bay Terrace, Five Diamond Mauna Lani Hotel & Bungalows, Hawaii
- San Diego Chefs Hall of Fame, 2010
- "Chef of the Year," California Travel Industry Association, 2004
- James Beard House 100th Anniversary Guest Chef, 2003
- One of America’s Ten Best New Chefs, Food & Wine Magazine, 1998
- Golden Dish Award, GQ Magazine
- Cuisines of the Sun Host Chef
- ment'or BKB (formerly Bocuse d'Or Foundation), Culinary Council
- California Avocado Council, partner chef
- California Olive Ranch, partner chef